Whoo-hoo! No more complaints about blog load speeds, people!
OK... I really *should* be doing a tech review on a book that Addison-Wesley asked me to do. But this blog loading speed was still bugging me.
I took the subform that contained the daily stories view and removed the embedded view. The load times were *much* improved. I then focused on what was causing the load times to be bad for that view. I removed a view selection formula item that included a @TextToTime("Today") part, so I can't "pre-date" published items any more (like I ever did anyway). But the big winner was the indexing settings. That view was set to index "at most, every six hours". Not good. To compound the error, the view indexing was set to discard *AFTER EACH USE*! So, every time you called up my blog, you were reindexing that view. No *wonder* the load times sucked.
On my laptop, I went from spiking the CPU at 90% for each page hit to a mere 25%. I think that setting was the "magic bullet".
And I'm sorry about all the bad things I said about your hosting server, Chris... :-)